Friday, December 3, 2010

Tonight will be such a relief.

I've spent the past week in varying stages of discomfort, stress and other miseries.

It started with a hangover. I overindulged on Mike's Lemonade Saturday night - sending off Thanksgiving break in style, I suppose - and so was forced to drive back to Muncie on Sunday with a headache and an upset stomach. Luckily, it was only an hour or so drive, and I had Aviva to keep me company, so it could have been worse. The overall effect was that I barely ate anything all day because of the nausea, and what little I did eat for breakfast I lost shortly afterward, so by the time I felt 100% better in the evening, it felt like I hadn't eaten in days and I was craving every kind of food ever. The catch was, I was at work by the time that happened, so I couldn't eat until I got off at 8, after which I went to the store. Never a good idea when you're starving; I bought all kinds of food and somehow deluded myself into thinking I would eat it all at once. (I had leftovers, of course. But at least I got my food.)

Monday, the cold I caught from Dad over break came into full swing. I spent Monday night writing an extensive poem using as many words as possible from a list I found called "100 Most Beautiful Words in the English Language". I was quite pleased with it. Tuesday was worse, the first of several evenings in which I spent hours at a stretch trying to put together my manifesto, the capstone project for my major. After I spent five hours on the formatting and finally getting it right, but still having a substantial amount of work to do, Teresa severely annoyed me by coming home and complaining about the skit she had to write for Japanese. I have no sympathy, especially considering she had just come home from hanging out with classmates because she "didn't feel like" doing her assignment.

The cold complicated things; if I was up until 2 doing work and then crashed, you can bet it would be 3 or 4 before I was actually asleep, due to the distractions of not being able to breathe through my nose and having to sniff or blow my nose every minute or so. Hence, I've spent the majority of this week in a soup of exhaustion.

On Wednesday, it was my day to present my manifesto to the class, which was nerve-wracking; when I picked my abusive relationship as the basis for my manifesto, it somehow hadn't registered with me that I would have to do this, and as such I included a lot of personal information that I hadn't even told my family, my friends or my boyfriend. Luckily, it got a good response, and one guy actually thanked me for sharing my story.

That night and last night are a bit of a haze, to be honest. All I know is I spent six or seven hours at a stretch each nigh working on perfecting the actual books of my manifesto, four copies in all. Luckily, I finished them in time to turn them in today, and I'm quite proud of the results. (My professor pronounced them "groovy".)

This week, my sleep schedule has been totally fucked, my immune system has been overtaxed, and my eating has been haphazard, depending on when I had time to eat and whether I actually felt like doing so. (Yesterday, however I did take the time to throw together a lovely pasta with chicken livers, mushrooms, onions and artichokes, which was delicious.) A couple of times, I had even sunk to the point of hallucination - nothing major, but I was definitely seeing things move that shouldn't have been moving. Also, I've had this vague sense of disorientation and detachment all week.

Tonight, I am going treat myself to a luminaria walk at the local arts center, and maybe a nice dinner at an organic cafe downtown. Then I will go to bed EARLY, and I will probably end up sleeping for twelve hours or something, but that is okay. I look forward to this weekend with eager anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment